Qatari connection affair

2025 Israeli political scandal From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Qatari connection affair

The Qatari connection affair ("Qatargate")[1] is an Israeli political affair centered on the allegation that close advisors to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, as well as a lieutenant colonel in the reserves, were paid by representatives of the government of Qatar, an ally and financial supporter of Hamas, to promote the former's interests.[2][3] In March 2025, Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar affirmed that the agency was investigating the affair, which he described as complex and multi-faceted. The scandal has resulted in the arrests of at least two of Netanyahu's top aides for unlawful ties to a country which supports Hamas.

A protest against Netanyahu "Qatargate" investigation, 2025

Background

Summarize
Perspective

On 10 February 2025, Ofer Hadad [he] reported on Channel 12 that the closest advisors to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu: Yisrael Einhorn, Ofer Golan, Jonatan Urich,[4] and Eli Feldstein (who had already been arrested prior to the publication, due to his involvement in the theft and leak of classified documents, in which Qatar's name had been also mentioned[5]) were employed by the Qatari government,[6] for promoting the Qatari interests in the top political and security authorities of Israel, including the image change of Qatar. The journalist Nir Dvori [he] wrote that he had often received information from Feldstein which promoted the image of Qatar, but refused to publish it.[7]

Two days later, opposition leader Yair Lapid called for an investigation into Qatar's reported actions and called it "a clear detriment" to Israeli security.[8] The chairman of The Democrats, Yair Golan, separately requested an investigation into Netanyahu and his staff, with Golan calling the actions "treason" against Israel.[9][10]

On 15 February 2025, the Shin Bet responded to inquiries by MKs Gilad Kariv and Naama Lazimi, stating that it would investigate the revealing of Israeli state secrets.[11] On 27 February 2025, Gali Baharav-Miara, the Attorney General of Israel, instructed the Shin Bet and the Police of Israel to investigate Qatargate.[12]

Events

Summarize
Perspective

On 13 March 2025, Nadav Argaman, a former Shin Bet chief, told Yonit Levi on the Channel 12 news, that if he concluded that the prime minister would decide to act against the law, then he would disclose everything he knew.[13] As a consequence, Netanyahu complained to the Israeli police against Argaman, accusing him of blackmailing him.[14] On 16 March 2025 the police started an investigation into Argaman's statements.[15] An expert on Israeli criminal law said that the maximum punishment would be seven years in prison.[16]

On 19 March 2025, Urich and Feldstein were investigated by the police. Their names were revealed after 48 hours.[17][18]

On 23 March 2025, Baharav-Miara wrote a letter to the government about the intention to depose her.[19][20]

Dismissal of the Shin Bet chief

On 5 March 2025, the Shin Bet made a report, which stated also the responsibility of the Government of Israel for the October 7 Hamas-led attack on Israel.[21][22] On 16 March 2025, Netanyahu claimed that Ronen Bar would be dismissed in the next cabinet meeting.[23][24] Baharav-Miara wrote a letter to Netanyahu stating that the decision was not valid due to Netanyahu being in a conflict of Interest stemming from Shin Bet's role in the Qatargate investigation.[23][25]

On 17 March 2025, Yair Golan said that the reason of dismissal of the head of the Shin Bet was clear: the Qatargate investigation and the unwillingness to make a comprehensive hostage deal, which would end the war in Gaza.[26] About sixty Israeli protest leaders, including Karine Nahon, Shikma Bressler and Moshe Radman, gathered for a meeting.[27] Several media outlets wrote that the dismissal would prompt accusations against the Netanyahu government for authoritarian behavior.[28][29][30] On 21 March 2025, the high court in Israel issued an injunction to prevent the dismissal.[29]

On 31 March 2025, Netanyahu announced that Eli Sharvit would be appointed as the Shin Bet chief. The United States senator Lindsey Graham stated that the appointment was not desired because of Sharvit's statements against President Donald Trump.[31] MKs Tally Gotliv and Nissim Vaturi claimed that Sharvit participated in the protest against the government,[32] and his appointment was revoked after several hours.

Arrests and Investigations

Thumb
Jonatan Urich, a main suspect in the affair

On 31 March 2025, it was announced that both Yonathan Urich and Eli Feldstein were arrested.[33] They are accused of contact with a foreign agent, receiving bribes, fraud, breach of trust and money laundering.[34] Feldstein found employment at an international firm which was contracted by Qatar to feed pro-Qatar stories to Israeli journalists, while Urich is suspected of having a role with business figures and other officials who were involved in the transferring of payments from Doha which were then covered up in effort to prevent knowledge of their origin.[35] Jerusalem Post journalist Zvika Klein was also arrested for a suspected connection with a foreign agent, who mediated between the advisors and the lobbyist Jay Footlik.[36][37]

On the same day, Netanyahu issued a video and claimed that the arrests of Urich and Feldstein were intended to prevent the firing of Bar.[38] Netanyahu's description of his staff as hostages sparked a backlash from the Israeli families of the hostages in Gaza.[39]

On 1 April 2025, Judge Menahem Mizrahi of the Rishon LeZion Magistrate’s Court issued a brief summary surrounding the case, saying there was a “reasonable suspicion” that the factual situation he described was well-founded. According to the same summary, an American lobbying company called The Third Circle, owned by American pro-Qatar lobbyist Footlik, formed a direct connection with Urich for Urich to disseminate positive messages in the Israeli media regarding Qatar’s role as a facilitator in the hostage deal negotiations between Israel and Hamas, and to spread negative messaging about Egypt’s role in the negotiations.[40]

On 4 April 2025, Netanyahu lawyers sued Yair Golan for defamation, demanding 320,000 shekels ($86,500) in compensation.[41] According to the lawyers, the lawsuit came in response to an announcement Golan made a few days prior regarding the investigation into Qatargate.[41]

Reactions

  •  Egypt - Egyptian members of parliament and journalists attacked Qatar on Twitter, accusing them of tarnishing Egypt's reputation and its role as mediator on the hostage deal negotiations.[42]
  •  Qatar - The Qatari government condemned reports suggesting that "Doha paid in order to undermine Egypt’s standing or that of any other mediator involved in the ongoing negotiations between Hamas and Israel".[43]

References

Loading related searches...

Wikiwand - on

Seamless Wikipedia browsing. On steroids.